Fab-manager running :-). Issues: projects, backups, language

Hi again,

I am pleased to announce that we have:

solepcc.unex.es:8080

Up and running! Still in test mode… :slight_smile:

We have it running inside a server of the University of Extremadura, hosted in a virtual machine using Proxmox, with Debian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie) as operative system.

We still have some issues to solve (some of them probably naive…):

1. We have been told that it is difficult to use docker inside a proxmox virtual machine. Do you have any experience? Do you recommend it?

2. We managed to create the database and we are changing it. How can we backup the information? We are backuping the whole VM…

3. How do we change between « test », « dev », and « production » modes? Will I preserve the information of the DB?

4. We have created several users, different roles, materials, themes… all very well!

We also created some projects, that we can see in the main page as « The latest documented projects ». Unfortunately we cannot find them in the « Project Gallery » section. How can we locate the projects there?

1. We have already translated several files to spanish. If I am not wrong, we have to translate the files:

app.admin.en.yml
    app.public.en.yml
    devise.en.yml
    mails.en.yml
    app.logged.en.yml
    app.shared.en.yml
    en.yml

Any one more?

Once we have them translated, I think we have to change the /fab-manager/config/application.yml file and add our files translated and with the name modified from « .en. » to « .es. » to the /config/locales directory. What we should do next? rake DB:migrate?

Many thanks in advance! And very nice webpage :slight_smile:

I can now answer myself the point of the languaje :slight_smile:

1. We have already translated several files to spanish. If I am not wrong, we have to translate the files:

app.admin.en.yml
app.public.en.yml
devise.en.yml
mails.en.yml
app.logged.en.yml
app.shared.en.yml
en.yml

Any one more?

Now we have the web running apparently well in spanish. They were just these files and rake DB:migrate.

Hello Antonio,

Great !

I let @sleede and @Sylvain confirm for the files that need to be translated.

Hope to see your Fab Manager live very soon.

Pascal

Hi @AGordiGuerrero,
I’ll try to answer your questions the best I can …

1. I see no special difficulty in running docker inside a VM, especially if this VM is running debian 8 which is fully supported. Just check that your VM meets the recommended requirements.

2. There’s no need to backup the whole system. Simply backup the databases (postgreSQL & elasticsearch) and the files located in public/uploads (eg. using tar cvzf public.tar.gz public/uploads).

3. test/dev and production modes are determined by the way you deployed fab-manager. If you use docker, you are in a production mode (with, for exemple, compiled assets) if you deployed using git and foreman, you’re in a dev environment witch is slower but easier to debug. If you want to switch to production, just install a docker instance and restore your backups on it (as done using the instructions given previously).

4. You have probably forgotten to install elasticsearch. Once done, run rake fablab:es_build_projects_index to index your existing projects in elastic. You will also need to run the tasks specified here and rake fablab:es_build_availabilities_index to have the statistics fully working. If you deploy a docker instance through docker-compose, elasticsearch will be automatically set up but you’ll still need to run the rake tasks sprecified above.

5. You have listed all the needed files. For informations about translation configuration, please read this carrefully!! There’s no need to run db:migrate but, ideally you’ll need to translate and configure your localisation settings before the first start of your instance (ie. before you run db:seed in the setup process), otherwise there will be some missing translations . Using docker, please open a pull request on github so that we’ll be able to include your translations in the docker image.

Good luck with that, and do not hesitate if you have any further questions :wink:

hi @AGordiGuerrero,

1. for backing up the postgresql database, yo can setup this little PHP client http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net
    which work like PhpMyAdmin, but just for postgresql.
    it is a simple tool to use, to view, manage, and back up your postgresql database.

I just write to say that we solved almost all the problems and we are using fabmanager nicely :heart_eyes: Now it is mostly a small collection of projects, but it will improve with age :wink:

We finally managed to use in parallel with a Wordpress page more devoted to general information (multilingual) and news (solepcc.unex.es).

We still have some issues with sending mails but they are minor.

Many thanks for the project and the helps! :clap::clap::clap:

1 « J'aime »